Please join us Tuesday, November 13th for a lesson on Emulsion Theory by Nickolas Huss of Barnet Products
Registration - 5:30-6:00pm
Dinner - 6:30pm
Speaker - 7:00pm
Abstract - Emul-fun theory is an interactive presentation in which we will review many different types of emulsions, including touch and feel examples demonstrating the many possibilities in the fun world of cosmetic emulsions. The emulsion theories that will be covered include:
- HLB (Hydrophilic Lipophilic Balance) Emulsions - Review the basic theory of HLB emulsions and how to calculate the levels of surfactants to utilize
- PIT (Phase Inversion Temperature) Emulsions - Review the theory of PIT emulsions and how to develop formulations
- Phospholipid Emulsions - Phospholipids are the primary lipids found in the skin. Review the benefits of using these natural emulsifiers as well as proper formulation techniques
- Lamellar Gel Networks - The most widely used emulsion system in the cosmetic industry. Review the structure and all of the different types of Lamellar Gel Networks including alpha gels and liquid crystal emulsions
- Polymeric Emulsions - The most fashionable emulsion type inspired by Korean trends. Review the structure and proper formulation techniques of creating these unique emulsions
- Pickering Emulsions - Review the theory of water in oil pickering emulsions
- Water-in-Silicone Emulsions - Great emulsions for skin, color and sun care. Review theory and proper processing techniques to achieve the most elegant formulations
Register below, or email Cynthia Valovich
SCC members: $45
Students and Unemployed: $35
Instructor Bio - Nickolas Huss is Vice President of Sales at Barnet Products Corp. with a focus on Asian market trends. Nick routinely makes technical presentations to customers and has spoken at SCC educational events. In addition, he supervises the Barnet application laboratory, where he and his team develop formulating guidelines and novel textures while also providing technical support to customers.
Nick currently visits multi-national accounts in the United States and their subsidiaries in Asia and Europe. His responsibilities take him to Japan and China each year for visits with suppliers and customers and for gathering information on current and upcoming trends in these markets.
Nick holds a Bachelors of Science Degree in Biological Sciences and Business Management from Charter Oak State University. He has been at Barnet Products for seventeen years and has been an active member of the LISCC for over ten years. He was Chair of the Long Island Society of Cosmetic Chemists in 2016. Nick is happily married to Jennifer. They have four children and two dogs!